- Consular legalization
What does apostille and legalization mean?
Legalization of a document is required to make this document recognizable by the legal system of a foreign country. Therefore, for a document issued in Ukraine to have legal force abroad you have to legalize it. The meaning of legalization is to certify powers and authenticity of signature of the official who signed the document, and in certain ceases — authenticity of seal or stamp affixed to the document.
To simplify document legalization procedure, a special convention called the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents was signed in 1961 in The Hague (the Netherlands). Ukraine became a signatory party to the Hague Convention in 2003.
If a document is intended for use in a country which is a signatory party of the 1961 Hague Convention, an apostille affixed to this document should suffice. In all other cases, consular legalization by the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, and consulate of the country of intended use is required.
A full list of the countries which signed the Hague Convention can be found here.
If you have any questions, please contact our Legalization Service at:
Tel/fax: +38 (044) 5–905–905
Kyiv, Vorovskoho Str. 33 (close to Kyiv Circus)
Cell: 8 (050) 312–76–73 from 9:00 till 19:00, 7 days a week, without lunch break
TRIS Legalization Service provides the following services:
· Legalization and apostilling of documents
· Consular legalization
· Certification of documents and translations by foreign embassies
· Certification of documents issued by Civil Registry Offices by a Department of Justice
· Procurement of duplicate documents at Civil Registry Offices
· Certification of medical references by the Ministry of Healthcare
· Nostrification (certification of recognition) of foreign university degrees by the Ministry of Education and Science
· Reference on the absence of criminal records
· Execution and legalization of protocols, minutes of meeting, and resolutions
· Execution and legalization of powers of attorney and affidavits
· Translation by accredited translator
· Translation by sworn translator
· Procurement of dichiarazione di valore at the Italian embassy